Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Haarlem (The extra "a" makes it fancy!)

The weather has been astonishingly gorgeous here lately - bright sunshine until 8:00 at night. (Although as I write this post, I'm still drying out from the frigid downpour that attacked me during my morning commute.) On Saturday, Heidi, Kate and I decided to take advantage of the sun and warmer temperatures to bike to Haarlem, a town about 20 kilometers west of the Dam. 

2 of the many reasons Kate and I are friends: She loves pink, and coordinates her outfits with her bike :)

Dutch cottages along the water:

 No tall buildings in site :)

Windmill!



Look, I can read Dutch: Bike Parking!

These enormous ferrys kept floating by, full of bikes:

Quaint little streets:

The main square had a church:


A statue of an inventor:

And a market:

Complete with Dutch herring. 
(Doesn't raw/pickled fish look so much more appetizing with a flag stuck in it?!)

 The (windy!) ride home:

 A sheep!



Please note: If you plan to be biking for 4 hours on a sunny day, I would recommend sunscreen, otherwise you end up with sunburnt hands and funny tan lines on your wrists. 

No comments:

Post a Comment